Labor Law & Labor Relations
With significant experience in traditional labor practice, SMM Law can help employers manage the challenges of ongoing unionization efforts or a unionized workforce.
Whether negotiating a new contract, bargaining an existing one, or challenging union demands during the contract term, we can partner with your team to implement a winning collective bargaining strategy. SMM Law also handles labor arbitrations on a variety of topics, including discipline and dismissal hearings.
For all employers, SMM Law can:
- Provide legal advice on laws impacting labor relations and related issues, including National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and court decisions, regulatory changes and rulemaking, guidance from the NLRB’s general counsel, and agency enforcement initiatives;
- Conduct a legal review of labor and employee relations policies and make recommendations that support best practices;
- Develop and implement labor policies, practices, and handbooks that comply with all legal requirements; and
- Provide representation on all labor relations matters.
For union-free employers or employers facing unionization efforts, SMM Law can provide guidance in how best to develop and implement strategies that lawfully avoid unions. For example, SMM Law can provide employers in all industries with:
- Legal advice in the development and implementation of preventive labor relations programs;
- Legal advice during union campaigns, organizing, and negotiations;
- Training for managers and supervisors relating to union organizing and recommendations regarding compliant workplace communications;
- Communication plans that include informational signs, posters, letters, meeting materials, social media postings, handouts, and more; and
- Legal audits and assessments to advise on best labor practices.
For unionized employers, we have successfully represented private and public sector clients in a number of matters before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the Public Employees Relations Commission (PERC), arbitrators, mediators, and state and federal courts. In this regard, SMM Law can:
- Provide legal representation during collective bargaining negotiations;
- Provide legal advice and answer questions regarding labor issues during the term of the collective bargaining agreement;
- Represent clients during grievance and arbitration proceedings under the collective bargaining agreement;
- Train managers and supervisors on how best to administer the collective bargaining agreement;
- Communicate and bargain with the union about issues that arise during the term of the contract;
- Defend against unfair labor practice charges brought by the union; and
- Provide legal advice and strategy as to how best to propose modifications to the collective bargaining agreement.